Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rune

constantly startles and amuses me with quirky quips.

I've mentioned this before in a post about how he reduced me to hilarity for days over an Earnest P. Whorl comment while I was lecturing Eliseo.

Also memorable was his monologue on the unbearable unendingness of kissing in the movie Jane Eyre.

And recently...

I'd made dill pickle soup for dinner, a new recipe, and the kids seemed to enjoy it. Rune commented on the way out the door to scouts that he wanted me to leave the soup out so he could eat more when he returned home. While he was gone I decided that there was just enough soup left to scrape a second dinner from and so callously put the soup away rationalizing that he would probably eat some sort of unhealthy junk at scouts (I was right-brownies) and so wouldn't miss the soup. Later, in the before bedtime rush to get a drink of milk, I asked the kids who liked the soup. Rune replied, "I did, I would've had more but you squashed that dream." I realize it can't possibly be as funny in the re-telling, but his dead pan voice without a hint of trying to be dramatic, and throwing out that piece of English language in the middle of pouring his milk as if it was a rational response to my putting soup away when he'd asked me not to....well, it had Grant and I giggling and joking about dream squashing well into the night. Which is about 10pm in our world.

It's quite possible that it is not really that funny and that Grant and I are just hopelessly mired in the mundane landscape of parents who never get out.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

We used to make ridiculous poses in the tinted windows at the MTC and thought we were hilarious. I prefer to think of it as simple unadulterated humor. ;)

fyi- I thought it was funny- and was chuckling just hearing your voice in my mind mimmick him through the evening.

and as for your previous post...I recently read a book where they ate cow testacles. Somehow jackrabbit testacles seem less offensive by comparison!

Kristie said...

Ah, a child's squashed dreams. First it is dill pickle soup, then it is wanting to be an astronaut or a rapper. LOL

Karen said...

I thought it was funny, too. Of course, I fall into the same parental category that you do, so I may not really be that objective. =) That said, I love a kid who understands a little sarcasm. =)

Shari said...

"You squashed that dream"??? That is SO hilarious! It made me laugh out loud and momentarily forget that my boys were fighting over whether they should have banana bread or yogurt for snack. Thanks for sharing.