Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's that time of year again

In which I begin to hate my life because it's winter.

Ode to Winter Hatred
by Sally

Snow. I hate you.
Cold. I hate you.
Frost. I hate you.
Hot Chocolate. I hate the necessity of you.
Sledding. I hate you.
Snowmen. I hate you.
Ice. I hate you.
Winter Wonderland. I think there is absolutely nothing wonderful about you at all. And I hate you.
Eileen. I hate you because it is 90 degrees where you live and I mistake extreme jealousy for hatred.
People who live between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. I hate all of you for the same above reason.
Late October. I hate you.
November. I hate you.
December. If it wasn't for Christmas I would hate you. I almost hate you anyway.
January. I loathe you.
February. I hate and loathe you.
March. I hate you because you NEVER go out like a lamb. You are lion through and through.
Any temperature below 65 F. I hate you.
Winter. Apparently some people like you, but I don't.
I hate you.

12 comments:

garcias said...

I asked CariƱa how she felt after I read your poem to you. She said, "Not very good. It's just all about I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you." So I guess you expressed your feelings well. :) Anyway I don't want to talk about it because I got a pit in my stomach when I heard that it snowed yesterday and I wasn't there. I love, love, love, love the cold!!! and am sad, boarder line angry, furious, and short tempered since it has been 90 degrees here!

garcias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...

Thanks for the laugh. (!!)

Karen said...

So I guess you don't want to hear that it's 80 degrees here today and that we're all still wearing shorts most days? =)

Sally said...

Karen: Et tu Brute?

Sally said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Don't hold back....tell us how you really feel!!

Karen said...

Awww, c'mon, Sally - I can't help it if you're living on the wrong side of the country!!

If it makes you feel any better, there's a "cold front" moving in, and the high Friday is only supposed to be a chilly 65. =)

hee hee

Shari said...

Wait...how do you feel about winter? (;

I used to love snow, and I preferred cool weather over hot, but these last few years have changed me. Winter starts coming and I panic. Being on the job market is miserable, and then adding the empty, cold, dullness of winter and I feel like I'm sinking inside and out. Watching everything dying outside doesn't help encourage hope, you know? (I don't know if this even makes sense.)

JS said...

that is awesome. please right more...

and you should come visit! We are still wearing flip flops and going to the beach. :)

Paul J said...

Snow ... I love you.
Scorching heat - its you I hate.
You make my energy bills so high.

Drenched in sweat.
I wake up in the morning sweating.
I go to bed sweating.
It never ends.

Until November
Then I can relax.
And then I can run outside without
needing an IV when I return.

In November I wish we had snow.
Snowmen ... love them.
Demented snowmen ... even better.
Throwing snowballs ... can't
resist.
Playing King of the Hill with my
boys ... priceless.

Oh Sally, standing inside covered
in blankets and sipping hot
chocolate with a scowl on your
face ... how you miss out.

Sally said...

Paul: Once again, Et tu Brute? My friends and family members scowl in the scorching humidity that I love while I scowl in the frigid snow that they love. Oh the ironies of life.

And you forgot to say in your poem that my blankets are tented around a heating vent.