Friday, May 16, 2008

Atavistic Traits

Isn't that the term for such things as an extra set of nipples or an extra long coccyx that show up in humans every once in a while? Traits that show our genetic similarity to other mammals? (Those who have been out of college for fewer years than I have may need to correct me). Well, our goat Princess had her babies yesterday and by some stroke of timing I was able to see her birth one of them. And let me tell you, I sure wish effortlessly popping out a baby in about 15 seconds was one of those traits that humans share with other mammals. However, I remain thankful that we lack other mammalian motherly instincts such as eating the afterbirth.

Here is Princess and her two babies. The black one is a girl and the brown one a boy. I am a confessed non-animal lover but baby goats....well, they're adorable.

We raised Princess from a baby. (Along with her brother Gecko but we ate him months ago). So it's been fun to watch her grow up and..sniff...become a mommy.
You should see Grant coo over these goats, especially the black one. He's like a 7 year old girl with a kitten.

4 comments:

tiff said...

Goats....I totally used to want one of those! How do you like them? I want chickens too....yummy free-range eggs! However, I'm not too keen on animals myself. Like dogs--the hair, the poop, the vomit, the hair, bad breath, the hair---I don't want one. Don't I deal with that stuff enough?

JS said...

I am glad we don't eat afterbirth... um... I laughed pretty hard at poor Gecko's demise. :)

I wish birth were that easy too.

Julie said...

Wow...They are precious. Lucky you to have witnessed the birth. Truly, I thought you did eat your afterbirth.lol! I really think you should rethink that one.

Shari said...

Seriously, when James was born Jon joked with my OB about wanting to save the afterbirth to BBQ later on. My OB kept a straight face and didn't even seem fazed by the request. Only after Jon told him he was joking did my OB look somewhat relieved, and said after living in Ithaca he doesn't get too surprised over such things. Yikes! Pass the A.1. Steaksauce, please!