Monday, March 2, 2009

Feel free to be impressed...I made a quilt!

I decided if I was going to stay home and call myself a homemaker then I might as well do something homemaker-ish. So I made a quilt.


It looks sort of blue here, but in reality is a solid purple. If you are really impressed by the pattern I, sadly, cannot take the credit. Grant was the mastermind there.


Detail of the binding


I lied. I didn't make a quilt to elevate myself to talented homemaker status. I did it because a really talented person in my ward made the below quilt for Violet and gave it to me at my baby shower. I love it so much that I just had to have one for myself, in my favorite color..purple. And since I thought that my talented friend probably wouldn't super want to make one for me I figured I'd have to do it myself. My motives were purely selfish.

Isn't this quilt awesome? If it had a Hello Kitty on it somewhere it would be the pinnacle of my girlish dreams for Violet. And the binding! I would never think of something so clever.


Am I going to become.....A QUILTER???? I don't know. It was pretty fun, kind of tedious, fairly expensive (like $80!), all in all a good experience but I think I'll mostly stick to projects that can be done in an afternoon. Like this.

A dress for Violet made from the leftovers.

11 comments:

Winter_FroniterSurvival said...

WOW! I am impressed Sally! Holy cow all the corners match! Good job! and just in case you didn't get the excitement in this message...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom said...

Beautiful quit. I think you did a wonderful job. The dress is really cute too. You are talented.

Rachel said...

You definately fall into the category of super homemaker mom, selfish reasons or not.

Karen said...

Whoa!! I'm impressed! Of course, since my memories of you come largely from our college years, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with your new homemaker side!! =) Why didn't you ever make me a dress????

Seriously, the quilt is gorgeous, and I wish we lived closer so you could help with my quilting project that was left by the wayside about 3 years ago.

Jeff and Michelle and Aliyah said...

I love it! It's so beautiful! I'm very impressed! Not only at your skills, but that it's a completed project! One day I'd like to complete something like that!

JS said...

I am so impressed! You did such a good job! It is beautiful... I don't quilt. Well, I might have to cause the twins are getting new beds. We will see what I come up with. ;)

I love it! Good job!

Shari said...

So cool! The quilt and little dress are very cute! Makes me miss sewing. Sure, my sewing machine is just in Kate's closet, but I don't have a good place to set it up where the kids can't get into it. I'm dreaming of a house with an extra bedroom (with a lock) to do my sewing in.

tiff said...

You are awesome. I only dream of sewing. But I figure if I have Grandma's genes, maybe it will manifest itself someday.....

garcias said...

So are you leaving this post up so everyone can see how talented you are? :) JK I would compliment you, but I don't want your head to get to big. :) Seriously good job. I hope to Never become a quilter. I definitely don't have the patience.

Kassie, Aaron and Boys said...

Sally, I love you quilt! It is so cute, you are very talented!

Shauna said...

I just checked the blog today and I absolutely love the quilt! Blues, greens and purples are all my favorites as well, so it's extremely appealing to me! I have material to make Zeek and myself a blue quilt (I can't remember the name of the block--I got it off a website), but after making the 6 kids' blankets 3 years ago and then the homemaking projects 2 years ago, I took a break and am still on it! Maybe you'll inspire me!