Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Shen Bei Bei's Chicken

Shen Ye Ye sneaking Lily a cookie at church.


Numerous times people have asked for this recipe and I can never answer since I always just throw it together without measuring. But I'm not always fabulous at the 'ol eyeball method and while it usually turns out great, sometimes it...doesn't. So the past couple of times I've tried measuring and have come up with a recipe for:

Shen Bei Bei's chicken

6-7 lbs chicken thighs
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 T sugar
1 T pepper

Throw everything in a bowl (or two) the night before you want to cook it and let set in fridge until the next evening. Place on baking sheets skin side up. Pour over marinade. Bake at 300 for about two hours or until very tender.

Recipe notes:
1. If you find 6-7 lbs of chicken to be a ponderous amount, remember I have 5 kids.
2. Don't even think about using boneless skinless frozen chicken thighs. It would mock Shen Bei Bei's culinary genius. The Shen Bei Bei who makes pumpkin pie filling entirely on the stove top. The Shen Bei Bei who drinks a peanut butter jar of water and does 100 leg kicks every morning. The Shen Bei Bei who faithfully eats 7 pieces of fruit daily. The Shen Bei Bei who despite being nearly blind from macular degeneration, would every Tuesday and Thursday painstakingly cut up fresh fruit and put it in bags then bring it to the courtyard for my kids to eat while they played. The Shen Bei Bei who sings American Christmas songs from the '30s and '40s every ward Christmas party for at least a half hour wearing his purplish/plaidish suit and bowtie. The Shen Bei Bei who is, I believe, the one and only Chinese man of his generation who likes to cook and sew. You see where I am going. This is Shen Bei Bei's chicken. It's simple, yet brilliant and I can just see the look on his face if he was told someone were to use bonesless, skinless chicken in his recipe. So don't do it. Please. However, feel free to frig with the other ingredients as Shen Bei Bei doesn't have set amounts since he really is good at the 'ol eyeball method.
3. This recipe keeps on giving. Pour the chicken oil in a bowl and use it during the week for stir frying and egg frying or for frying whatever it is you like to fry. Scrape up the rest of the junk from the pans (except the stuff that is REALLY stuck), put it a bowl and away in the fridge. The next day heat it up in a pan with the leftover rice and eat it with a fried or soft boiled egg.
4. Soak your pan for at least an hour before you attempt to scrub it.


Shen Bei Bei, Shen Ai Yi, Lin Ma Ma (standing)

P.S. It's possible Eliseo has a booger on the end of his finger.



7 comments:

Karen said...

All I can focus on is the possible booger on Eliseo's finger! =)

That recipe sounds easy and delicious, qualities I find very desirable in a recipe. Can't wait to try it!

Jennifer Never said...

I LOVE HIS CHICKEN!!! I actually got that info from him when we were there!!...but have never marinated it. Thanks for reminding me how much I love it!! Did you guys go back to Taiwan??!! Mark and I are thinking about going. He wants to go to Europe, but I'm wanting Taiwan...Does that sound as crazy as it feels saying that? Way to go on the quilt too by-the-way!

garcias said...

Way to make me miss Taiwan all over again. He is a great man, minus the sneaky cookies!

Bluebird & Company said...

Sally, I got your package! I have been meaning to call you and say Thank you....I know it's just a matter of picking up the phone, but lately even that has been difficult with a newborn. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. ;)
I haven't tried the chicken spices yet. hopefully soon. Thank you soooo much!

kersina said...

I met a lady in my ward recently that served her mission (30 years ago) in Kaohsiung. When she found out that I served in the Kaohsiung mission too, she asked if I knew Chen Ma Ma. That's like asking if you know Sis. Jones from LA. Anyway, we had a fun time talking in Chinese. Loved your post, and, of course, it made me homesick for Taiwan.

tiff said...

Sally, you crack me up!

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy.

RaeAnn said...

I will have to try this recipe!! But all I have in my frig is boneless, skinless chicken!! I will have to get the real stuff the next time I go to the store.
Love ya!!