Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Birthday cake success

Lily turned five on Saturday and we had a very small party to which two friends showed up. I attempted to create a doll cake like the ones that we always had Mom make when we were kids and it turned out not bad. Due mostly to the fact that the doll had a painted on top so I didn't have to try to create one out of frosting and she had a little fairy skirt that adequately hid the fact that she was slightly too tall for her cake "skirt" plus eliminated my having to do something cute at the cake/doll interface. I just piped some stars around the bottom and then let the kids press on some sprinkles. Then, because the doll had a little sidekick, and because Lily declared that the sidekick needed a cake, too, I made another one. Luckily, a cousin and several neighborhood kids helped out eating all the cake. Then, I froze a bunch meaning to save it for some FHE in the future, and we ate it the next day. This is precisely why I never make home baked desserts, I have no willpower. That is to say, I have the willpower not to bake them or buy them in the first place, but once they are baked and on my counter, that's it. Unfortunately, I ate too much and my poor, weak, nauseated stomach has been getting back at me since.


6 comments:

Shari said...

The cakes turned out really cute. Kate is particularly impressed by them!! She had me click on each picture so she could see them up close. She really likes the fairy with the "crescent moon" wings.

garcias said...

That is funny that Kate had to check the cakes out. That sounds just like CariƱa. She is always wanting to take a closer look.

I am sorry I missed Lily's birthday. Happy Birthday Lily!!!!

Rachel said...

AWESOME JOB ON THE CAKES!!! I want a piece.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cakes Sally, you did a great job!
love mom

Julie said...

Those cakes ROCK! I am very impressed with your ability to create such a beautiful cake and your ability to put sugar in it and let your kids eat it. WOW!! It's like Tim Tams all over again, huh! Happy Birthday Lilly.

JS said...

I am super impressed! Happy birthday Lily!