Saturday, September 27, 2008

Okay, this time I DID have the baby.




But I am not back on the beach in my old swimsuit. I actually look like the above picture. The swelling is the result of severe blood loss, and this was two days after the fact so you are spared the really scary swelling. The short version about the birth is that if I was a pioneer woman on the plains I probably would have died. The long version is that I had a retained placenta, lots of blood loss, a blood transfusion and emergency surgery to scrape out the rest of the placenta about 7 hours after the birth. The birth went fine (no drugs), the exciting part was afterwards. Exciting is not really the word, more like really scary and on my part very painful. So, this is it for my baby having. I've always bled too much after birth but this was out of control and I've been strongly advised against getting pregnant again. But it's okay because I knew that the moment I found out I was pregnant. I had a premonition this whole pregnancy that something was wrong or that there was potential for something to be very wrong. I'd never talked about it with anyone because I was so afraid it was going to be the baby. Thankfully, it wasn't the baby, it was me. And I'm okay now, or I will be when I can get my anemia under control. And in the end we have a gorgeous baby girl.


Back of the head shot of her lovely hair



Oh! Would you like to know her name?
Violet Anabelle Smith
7'15"
18" long


Too sweet

5 comments:

Rachel said...

She is beautiful! I am super relieved you are okay. Don't scare me anymore! I love you.

Shari said...

Sally! Congratulations!!! This is such exciting new -- your baby girl, not your complications. I'm sorry that you had such a scary experience after the birth. I'm grateful that you're okay. I hope that you can recover quickly. You'll definitely be in my prayers. I love you.

p.s. I love all of Violet's hair!

tiff said...

Congrats on Baby Violet! She's really beautiful. Like everyone else, I'm so grateful you're okay.We'll keep you in our prayers too.

Love you!

garcias said...

I am glad I am here to help out. I hope I am helping out more than I am in the way. I sure enjoy holding the the little shrimp.

JS said...

I love the name Violet! She is super cute! My friend just had a baby and had to have a blood transfusion. Scary stuff! I am glad you are ok! It makes it all worth it when you see the cuteness you created. :)

She is beautiful, and I am glad you are ok.