Friday, August 14, 2009

Stuff

We are temporarily situated in a two bedroom apartment for the next 3 or so months while Grant finishes up his temp job and looks for a permanent one. Since we are here so temporarily, the only stuff we have is what we could carry in the van and the truck. Everything else is in storage. We are sleeping on the floor, we eat sitting on the floor, we have a frying pan, a wok, a pot and a rice cooker to cook with. We have 8 bowls and 6 glasses, our clothes are in suitcases on the floor and we hang our clothes to dry. It seems that it would be terrible to live so bare bones, but in reality it is very liberating to live simply. The house is a cinch to clean and the dishes take no time at all since there are hardly any of them to begin with. I remember feeling this way in Taiwan also, that it is so nice not to have my life encumbered by a bunch of stuff. It's awesome to have such bare closets and cupboards--no more searching for a spare nook to stick another piece of kitchen gadgetry or a place to hide away some other piece of junk that gets used once in a blue moon. It's great to open up a drawer and not have that nagging feeling like you should really clean it out because at least half of the stuff in it is useless.

And this apartment has taught me one other very surprising thing about myself....I love orange countertops! When I first walked in I automatically cringed at them, but in a kitchen of white floor, white cupboards and white appliances they are the bright, happy accent that just works.

In summary, I will never again feel that I automatically have to pity people that don't have a lot of stuff or people with orange countertops.

P.S. When you have no TV and the barest minimum of toys your kids will suddenly be very interested and excited to go to the library.

8 comments:

garcias said...

I agree with the bare minimum. It is so much nicer to little to no stuff. I feel I have too much if I all the shelves are filled. I guess it is time to down size again, even after I am the one who gave you the toys. :) PS you really need to get the internet so you can comment on my blog. You are my most faithful! :)

Kristie said...

I admire your attitude, Sally! I'm amazed at the way you can pick up and plant roots in a new spot so easily. Me? I need to stay in one place and I need my "stuff!" But I think the world would be a lot better if we all adopted more minimalistic lives. Are you in Provo?

Winter_FroniterSurvival said...

Hey Sally! I loved the first year after we moved into our new house for just the same reasons. I never did finish out cleaning the storage its just as full as ever. Now we are getting to much again! Sheesh.. being a pack rat has to much upkeep. Glad to hear everyone is doing good. Love the Mohawk!

Bluebird & Company said...

I miss you Sally! We are having our first Homeschool Group this week. It won't be the same without you!

Karen said...

Funny you would blog about too much stuff. My house has been bugging me lately because there seems to be too much stuff, especially stuff that I know we no longer need.

The kids go back to school in about a week, and guess what I'll be doing?? Hello Goodwill! =)

And glad you're loving the orange countertops!

Julie said...

I love the simple life...its time to get back to that huh! Orange countertops? Someone told me that I bleed orange...so I am totally a fan of the orange. Where are you guys and what are you doing. Where is this transition taking you?

Shari said...

I loved this post, and I think you're so right about the simple life. Whenever I weed through our stuff and take a bunch of it to Salvation Army it feels so liberating. I hardly ever miss what I have gotten rid of.

The Driskill Family said...

I like the orange counter tops, too (from the picture in your later post). I love your attitude and agree that we ALL have just a little too much "stuff"!